Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Interview with Executive Director Julie Miller!!

We were so excited when we asked Julie to do and interview with us that she said, "Absolutely!" She is always so humble and serving. It was so great to speak with her!

Mary: How do you lead jewelers to "get it"-the potential of Premier? Can you?

Julie: Yes, you can help them. I believe it starts at the one on one. You must help them to see the FULL potential that Premier can be. Including retail, booking, sponsoring, but the full potential is many things, its not just money. Its about enriching lives and providing hope to those who need it. When they see it early, they can commit to their career in Premier, and then making them more successful, and helping her self esteem. They also need to see the heart of Premier in us as their leaders. We must show them we are interested in their livelihood and their family.

Mary: We are all extremely busy these days. What do you say to the potential new jewelers who are afraid the won't have time to do this business?

Julie: Well, everyone is busy. And every person has to choose what to do with their own time. While they are considering Premier, they need to decide if it will meet a need and make a difference. If it does, then together we will find a way to make it happen. They will have to adapt to having Premier in their lives, and we all find time to do the things that we want to do. Also, the wonderful thing about Premier is that it fits around your life and family. I tell them my personal story. I had 2 children when we signed, and had Meredeth after. I also was still contracted with my old corporation and worked 3 days a week. Because of the flexibility of Premier, I was still able to build a business and continue doing shows and sponsoring. And as we promoted and our business grew, we learned to shift priorities around, and they will too.

Mary: What are the most important skills a new jeweler must achieve to be successful? How do you help them develop this?

Julie: Well, #1, the absolute most important skill they must have is how to book. Everything flows from Home Shows. I work diligently with my new jewelers by role playing with them and giving them the correct verbiage to say so they feel effective before they even have a show. It is also crucial to make sure a new jeweler has as many shows on the books as possible. They should have 6-9 shows scheduled in her quick start before her training show. I also book shows at her training show and try to have 12 shows minimum on the books, sometimes even more than that.

The second most important skill they should have is the ability to get her hostesses and customers to do what she wants them to do (haha). By booking home shows to getting one on ones on the books. New jewelers must learn to be assertive to do these things, and when they do, they will become successful and ultimately feel confident in their skills because of it!

Mary: So do role play things like objections with them?

Julie: Yes, and really work with them on the many different kinds of objections they will hear, and how to overcome them with a positive outlook. And that is the third skill they need, how to always have positive attitude during situations. They happen, and they need to be aware of it. I talk to her about them, and I also make sure she calls me after her first 10 shows. We can talk about things that happened, and I can help her learn how to look at things from a different (but realistic as well) perspective.

Mary: How do you inspire your jewelers to achieve for themselves what you see in them?

Julie: Well, many woman have not really had people pour into them the help they need to believe that they really can do great things. As Tom Barrett would say, they did not get filled with "Good Jelly". This is important, because what it takes to become a leader is the ability to see the amazing things in people and the ability to help they, themselves, see it. When I see the potential in jewelers, I will sit down with them and honestly talk to them about it. You must be willing to do that, and honest about how they are doing, by saying things like, "This is where you are at, this is where I see you". Then make a plan to get them there. It is not just about telling them, we must actively be involved to help them not only create dreams, but also achieve them.

Mary: How do you keep the wind in your sails and keep going?

Julie: Well Mary, it is absolutely vital that I keep my purpose in mind. I know that this is what God has called me too. I go to the Father and ask Him what He wants me to do each day. I then always know I am working His will and try not to question it. I also try to stay humble by sprinkling His word throughout my day. I get *emails throughout my day with devotions* that I read consistently. God's word always gives me strength when I feel like I can't go on. I then feel like I can continue taking on the waves of Premier with passion. I also read a lot of quick leadership quotes and books throughout the day. I will try to read at least one page. A great author is of course John Maxwell. They keep me in the right perspective - a positive one!

Mary: Tell me about the moment when you first walked on the stage as an Executive Director.

Julie: It was such a special moment. It was a realization that for whatever reason, God has chosen us to be blessed in that way. It is very very humbling. We continue to realize that the only way for us to have achieved it was through the awesome leadership of our people and the growth though that. More than ever before I knew I was a servant of the Lord, and this is the path He has chosen for me. It was not so much a "Wow look at us, we are Executive Leaders" moment, but more of a "Look, God has chosen us!". He chose us even with all of our faults and deficiencies!

Mary: What is a typical day for you as an Executive Director?

Julie: Haha! Well firstly, there are no "typical days"! Some days I am home most of the day and I am talking to our people. I am also planning and working on events. Many days jewelers come over and role play or train. We also do Opportunity Presentations with our team or for ourselves. I also am sure to have an active Home Show business. I have 1-2 Shows a week so I am preparing for those throughout the week. So I am sure to stay balanced and am working all parts of my business. Also, my children are older and they do go to school. I try to make the most out of my time during then. During my entire career we had a lot of sporting events for our kids as well. So, along with getting that time with them, I have to make sure to continue to make personal time for me. Things like Bible Study are very important.

Mary: Who is one speaker that you could listen to all day? Besides the wonderful Andy and Joan of course!

Julie: There are so many, but I love Joni Brummel. She has such an amazing gift and she really allows God to speak through her. There are others of course, but you asked for one!

Mary: Haha! Your great at following rules!

Julie: I try!

Mary: True or False, Did you like the S.S. Andy?

Julie: HAHAHAHA! Ummmmm.....It wasn't my favorite....

Mary: Good answer! Hahaa

Julie: Yes, well you have to remember, back then the "nautical" look was very in. So when it came out in the catalog, it was just a regular pin. But it was not my favorite, hahahaha.

Mary: Fun question, What do you like to do with your personal time?

Julie: Oh I love to spend it with my family. We go out to eat, go to a baseball or football game, and we love to travel.

Mary: Well, I want to tell you, you made me so comfortable! You are like a "normal" person! You give us such hope! Is there anything you would like to share?

Julie: Oh I am! I am so normal! I am just a person who is continually persistent and learned to give my business to the Lord. I also want to share that jewelers need to fully understand what we have in Premier. We have an amazing vehicle to not only provide outstanding income for our own families, but also to provide hope to so many woman who need it! When we really understand what we have and allow God to use us for His purposes, and when we work hard as unto the Lord, serving with a heart for others because we know this is where God wants us to be...He can bless us beyond our wildest imagination and provide purpose, friendship, financial stability, and so much more!

Thank you Julie for taking the time to talk with me and let me pick your brain! You are such a humble person, and TRULY an awesome leader!!

Julie and David Miller have been in Premier for 17 1/2 years. They have 3 children; Allison 22, Davis 19, and Meredeth 15 1/2.

Sites that Julie uses for encouragement:
www.gospelines.com
www.PurposeDriven.com
www.maximumimpact.com

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome company, where an Executive Director freely gives of herself so that others may grow. Grow in their business and grow closer to God. Truly, if we are doing His will then we will push beyond the bounds that we have thought were our limit.
    Thank you Julie for being such an inspiration and leader. The home show is absolutely the life-blood of this business. Everything is built upon that foundation. If it is strong then you can build a tower. If it needs a little repair then contact your upline and secure the cracks by filling the calendar to the level you feel comfortable.
    To all of you reading this blog...please fill free to let us know what you think. How can we improve it for you? What questions would you like answered? Email, call, facebook, however you want to ask it...let us know so we can get an answer for you. We hope you all enjoy this as much as we enjoy doing it.

    ReplyDelete